Sunday, May 24, 2015

Friday, May 22 and Saturday, May 23 Trip to the Vatican and the Coliseum

Friday, May 22 and Saturday, May 23

Today we took a trip to Rome a city that is very modernized compared to Florence and Siena from the cities we have visited so far. Rome is the home some very significant monuments like the Coliseum where many gladiator battles took place and Vatican City the home for Basilica S.Pietro, Giardini del Vaticano and Musei Vaticani.  I had always been a dream of mine to visit these significant places. My family is Catholic and every year in the month of December we watched a film that they show each year on Virgin Mary or as we know here in my culture as La Virgen de Guadalupe.  In Tv each year I watch many people from all over the world attend the Vatican to thank and pray on this significant day where it was known for Juan Diego to encountered Virgin Mary twice in Mexico City. I see people crawling on their knees all the way until they get inside of the Basilica. Without the tour to the Vatican I feel like I would continue to live without a lot of history being unrevealed. I would have never known that Michelangel painted the Sistine Chapel and that he had completed it in a total of seven years.When we got to the coliseum I was expecting it to be much bigger and I never imagine it would be designed the way it was based on the small information I knew from the gladiator battles. I was expecting more of a flat surface and a long entrance from where the gladiators would come in with their horses. Also seeing the amount of cell for the prisoners was something that came to my attention. I was amazed of how they were designed and how they would let the lions in.  Based on how many people were present I could say for myself that the Vatican and the Coliseum could be Rome’s most popular tourist attractions.


I could say that if I wouldn’t of visited this amazing site I would of never learned all I did while being inside the Coliseum. Reading all the informational fact help me obtain more knowledge of what had always been the cite I had dream to visit. It was very interesting to know that it is thought that over 500,000 people lost their lives and over a million wild animals were killed throughout the duration of the Coliseum hosted people vs. beast games. Many also may wonder why the Coliseum might be missing a large part and that is due to many natural disasters that devastated the structure of the Coliseum, but it was the earthquakes of 847 AD and 1231 AD that caused most of the damage you see today. Lastly I had always know this cite as the Roman Coliseum and apparently it had another original name and that was Flavian Amphitheater which was named after the Flavian Dynasty of Emperors.

No comments:

Post a Comment