Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Wednesday, May 27 Food and Wine

Wednesday, May 27
After being in Italy for a little over a week I’ve noticed that in the Italian culture with most meals everyone enjoys a glass of wine whether it may be Chianti, Amarone, Barolo, red or white. In every restaurant we have been to for the most parts you may start with an appetizer, first course, second course, vegetables, desert, and then end up with a nice and hot espresso or café. In most cities here in Italy when you go to each town there is a lot of completion of competition of which town has the best in Tuscany. No one will develop its secret. When they come up with something what’s there is there and they are not going to share the creation. A very unique thing I’ve notice that at restaurants when there are families or couples dining in, they don’t really talk to each other while they enjoy there meal there are just sitting there quietly, and with us Americans for the most part we are having conversations while we eat. Something that has come to my attention over the days I’ve been here in Italy has been the fact how a lot of people here in Italy just walk in grocery store and other stores with their dogs. Back in the U.S the only people that ever go in a store with a good are those who may either be blind or some disability problem.  In Italy most Italian skip there breakfast for the most part they just have a café or espresso. Also an interesting fact was that in most places in Florence they don’t use salt in their bread due to the fact that back in the day they had to get their salt from Pisa and it was just a pride thing and they chose not to want to get it from them.

I’m not a person who drinks a lot of wine, however in this trip I have drank wine just about any day just for the simple fact its less expensive to purchase a bottle of wine then it is buying a can of coke. Imported beers are also really expensive here in Italy. Several days back I was at a bar and bought me a couple of Corona’s which back in the U.S I would buy them for about 4 dollars here in Italy I was paying 10 euros for a corona just about twice as much. I have ate lasagna, spaghetti, wild boar, horse, salads, grilled chicken, rooster, vegetables, gelato along with other meals and each restaurant whether I purchase the same meal once it comes to the table it has a different presentation at each restaurant on the plate none look the same or taste the same.  The first difference I experience was when I tried past for the first time I notice that the pasta here in Italy wasn’t as soft as it is back at home then once I had it here I was able to determine that even though back at home it may be authentic they are over cooking the pasta.  Also here in Italy when you go to a pizzeria some have pre cooked slices and once you go to order they just put it in the oven other places just serve the regular pizza’s but they are much thinner than what we are used to.

No comments:

Post a Comment